Reading among children today is a rare thing, unlike before, students had enough time to be occupied with a story book, magazine or paperback, and the like.
Today our youth are busy with their device, for example playing ML or whatever app they have on their cell phone.
This, of course, reflects the type of readers we have at school and at home. Slow readers, poor comprehension are just negative effects of not having the habit of reading among children developed at a younger age. Add to that the difficulty they have in spelling the word correctly, the inability to form a complete sentence, etc.
With this myriad of problems or challenges our children face, there is always a proven strategy that is, of course, doable.
Developing the good habit of reading among our children is really timely and vital for their learning success.
Parents should do something to foster the habit of reading in their children.
Here are some tips so that children can have a chance to learn some reading skills.
1. Make sure there is a reading corner at home. Various books, magazines, newspapers, etc. they should be on the shelves and let the children read them. Encyclopedia, large dictionary, if you have it, it should be used by children; not just show materials. Books are meant to be read, not to be a show off in your house.
2. Show them that you like to read. Yes, actions speak louder than words. If children see you read, they will be encouraged to read.
3. Have a reading time together. Reading together as a family is a sight to behold. Instead of watching TV, why not have reading time once or twice a week? Yes, may this be wisdom for parents to make time to read with their children.
4. Buy books for them and bring them to the bookstore. Yes, a trip to a bookstore once a month is a good reading boost for your children. They will not only have more fascination for books, but also be curious to see different kinds of books.
5. When you read newspapers, make sure they also know the latest news, trends, etc. A small conversation with them about the news in science, politics, etc. it could really boost your reading habit to maximum learning. Yes, having these kinds of bonding moments will definitely be a fun and meaningful learning experience for them.
6. Read to them. Having these kinds of bonding moments could really build a positive relationship with your children. Yes, this becomes moments to remember when they are old and you are no longer with them.
7. Invite guest readers to your house. Yeah, family friendly or what, it could be a fun and meaningful experience for the kids. Social and personal skills development can be achieved through this simple yet impactful learning experience for young learners.
8. If children have difficulty reading, there are many learning resources available: YouTube, websites and school portals for learning are at your fingertips. What is needed is time and creativity to have these learning centers, portals or whatever are instruments for an effective learning search.
So there you have it. With these, your children’s reading journey would definitely be fun and meaningful, and they will be writers and speakers one day, with substance.
Let our young students be more curious about books, stories and everything around them. Curiosity is the beginning of learning. Make curiosity your ally to encourage them to learn for themselves through reading. Yes, it’s more fun and meaningful when it’s done right, at home.